Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Didn't Your Momma Teach You Manners!?

From my last entry, (to my tiny pool of people that follow me) you know that we got Holden's STARband Cranial Remolding Orthosis, which is fancy for, we got his helmet.  The whole process of getting him fitted for it wasn't all that bad, he cried of course when it first went on.  Check out the epic crying shot below and Darren, our Orthotist (who we love love love!) showing Holden his helmet for the first time.  ;)  But after 2 adjustments, he tolerated it pretty well.  He even napped in it on the way home. 




We are in day 2 of day 5 of the "break in" period.  The break in period goes as follows:
Day 1-- Helmet on for 1hr/off for 1hr, repeat
Day 2--Helmet on for 2hrs/off for 1hr, repeat
Day 3--Helmet on for 4hrs/off for 1hr, repeat
Day 4--Helmet on for 8hrs/off 1hr, repeat
Day 5--Helmet on for 23hrs/off for 1hr

So getting it on first thing in the morning isn't his favorite thing to do, but throughout the day when I was taking it on/off on the allotted time frames I had scheduled, he didn't cry!  He just gave me a funny look as to why I kept putting this clunky thing on his head.  So, I'm anxious to see how tomorrow goes with having it on for 4hrs at a time.  When we took it off before he went to bed tonight, his skin was a little irritated, but nothing to be concerned about.  Just gonna take some time.

Now what's really gonna take some time is for me to get used to all the looks/gawks I get when Holden and I go out.  Today was major test of my nerves and my mouth!  TWICE in once day I got comments made at Holden and his helmet, along with several stares, double takes, walking away and staring us as they walk, just plain ol' staring as we walk around.  Our first instance was from some lil'l 6 or 7ish yr old I wanted to pop in the mouth.  We were at the grocery store and walking down the aisle, this little boy was sitting in the basket part of the cart, as we walked by he pointed right at Holden laughed and yelled loudly "Haha!  He looks silly!"  I about came unglued....at that age your momma taught you that it's not nice to poke fun at other kids.  His momma must have missed that etiquette lesson because she didn't even correct the lil' booger, she just looked at me and then gawked at Holden.  Let me tell you, if looks could kill, she'd be dead!  I shot her daggers like you wouldn't believe!  I just walked off and kept shopping, trying to hold back the tears.  Take two, fast forward to this evening.  We are at the grocery store again (we had a sweet tooth and went to get some goodies) and I'm in the baking aisle looking at the cake mixes.  This lady, had to be in her late twenties walked by us.  As Holden is sitting in the cart babbling away and looking up at her as she walks by she says "hey there helmet boy...hi there lil' helmet boy" and continues to walk off.  I again am just shocked at this, because this isn't a child, but and adult.  On her way back up the aisle she commented on the cart protector I had Holden sitting on and made a comment of how her sister has "those stupid things for her kids".  I just smile and nodded and walked away.  How am I supposed to respond to these types of things?  The momma bear in me whats to rip these peoples faces off and feed it to them for dinner.

Being only day 2 of possible 3-6 months of Holden's helmet wearing I know I need to get used to it and get some thick skin about this issue, but it still hurts.  Make fun of me all you want, hell I was made fun of all my life growing up for having really unruly curly hair and being really tall and lanky.  I can take it all day everyday....but not when it comes to my son.  The gloves are off.  They ain't lying when they say being a momma ain't easy.....I would give my last breath for Holden.....and throw a punch.....or two....if I have to.  I'm just saying......

3 comments:

  1. I saw the pics that you had posted earlier today with him wearing his helmet.I must have missed if you posted why he had the helmet but when I saw the photo I honestly just thought it was something for when you went walking with him.When I see him he looks perfect.

    When my son was about 2.5 my mother in law and I took my son to Fiesta Texas.We were on the last ride and my son threw himself over my shoulder and into these two teenage girls faces,One jumped back and gave a dirty look and the other one said 'He is as ugly as his momma.' I wanted to rip them to shreds and curse their future children but I didn't. I am sure everyone has dealt with the same thing we have at some point.Holden is beautiful and anyone who wants to nay say,well they obviously don't know that Karma bites worse than a 2 year old having a tantrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Valerie! Holden is the cutest most adorable lil guy! He has no idea that people are staring at him. People will stare and say things they shouldn't, just be the bigger person and know this is what is best for that baby and in a few months this will all be behind you. My little brother used to go out in a superman costume and rubber rain boots. That is what he wanted and mom took him out like that every where we went...don't think we didn't get the stares! ha,ha Hang in there pretty momma!!!! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg. The kids and young people of this day have 0 social skills (that makes me sound old)...they don't know how to talk or relate to people. I blame texting. They have freedom to type everything without seeing how it affects the other person, therefore, anything goes. I don't know how many times I tell a kid "have a nice day" & they don't know what to say.. they'll say "I will" or "ok". Ding dongs! But. You're also right momma & daddy need to teach them those things starting really young. Good luck these next months. I'm sure you know your family is beautiful regardless of what's being worn or said. Holden will be a heartbreaker for sure :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and welcome your comments! Be sure to let me know who you are! If you post as anonymous, just sign your comment at the end! I like to know who is keeping up with us! :)