Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Countdown To Molding A Melon

Tomorrow at two in the afternoon we are going to get Holden's helmet.  I am excited, scared, nervous, anxious; all of the above and then some.  I know this is this just the beginning of our journey with the correction of Holden's plagiocephaly, it just seems so far off.  I calculated (and this is just a guesstimation of how long he might be in the helmet) that around 9-12 months old he'll be out of the helmet if all goes well.  That's 3- 6 whole months of this....

-not being able to kiss his lil' head at night when I rock him to sleep
-not being able to rub his head when I rock him to sleep
-not being able to kiss his forehead when we take our naps together
-not snuggle *comfortably*
-not hold him in my arms/against my chest and feel his sweet lil' head against my bosom
-explaining to everyone that I'm not an overprotective Mommy and that the helmet is NOT for his safety
-checking the weather to see if in this great state of HOT ASS TEXAS if we can go outside and not drown my son in sweat with his helmet
-figuring out what is the best time for his 1hr out of the helmet should be
-seeing which clothes will fit over his helmet---this should be fun!

I know this is the best for him and it's only temporary, but I can still be a lil' sad about those things right now!  I mean that's 3-6 months of his life that I won't get to kiss on his lil' noggin, see it grow, see his hair grow!  That's something I never thought I'd look foward to seeing, but damn if it ain't now! 

I have been doing some more research online and reading about this and seeing what I can do on my end to be a good mommy with it.  I've read several mom's gave in to the screaming and crying of their babies wearing it through the night for the first time and took it off because they couldn't take their baby crying.  I just hope and pray I am strong enough to get through the tough times with this.  I have three mommy friends I know who have either had their children in helmets or are in a helmet now that will help me through this.  They are going to be my go-to people and support through this.  And I always have my wonderful Kenny, he will definitely be my rock through this, as he is always.

We got Holden's helmet in "military camo" from the options that Star Cranial had......BUT.....the one cool thing about this helmet is that we already have an appointment made on May 2 to get Holden's helmet personally customized.  This awesome company in town called Traffic Graphics designs these helmets for FREE with whatever design we want on it.  So I was thinking about getting some kind of owl design and on the back of it say "Owl Be Okay" or "Owl Be Okay, Just Fixin' My Flat"  hehehehe  :)  I have a few weeks to play with designs, so we'll see what we can come up with and we'll show you when we get it made!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and welcome your comments! Be sure to let me know who you are! If you post as anonymous, just sign your comment at the end! I like to know who is keeping up with us! :)