Monday, April 23, 2012

Go Grey or Go Home!

I’m not new to having a few grey hairs here and there…..but over the past year it seems I’ve sprouted a TON more grey hairs.  I’m 31, and it’s not uncommon for women my age to have a few grey hairs, but I’m sure all of us 30 some year olds out there who have the few grey hairs wish we didn’t.  My hair is a really dark brown/black color naturally when I don’t highlight it.  So if you’re taller than me you can see the top of my head and see all the greys.  But I’m 6ft, so I don’t often run into that problem, but when I’m sitting down I see myself making sure no one walks behind me to where they are able to peak over my head.  I know it’s all in my head and I’m more worried about my greys than everyone else, it’s just me being paranoid someone is going to make a comment about how much grey I have!  Oh the whoas of being a woman.  Whomp whomp!

My mother is completely grey and she is in her early 50’s and she went completely grey in her late 30’s early 40’s  She embraced the grey for a while and didn’t color her hair and stayed grey, then she went back to coloring her hair a lightish brown color, close to her origional color.  I love her hair both ways, she is able to pull both colors off well.  She has what I call “pretty” grey hair.  I’ve seen different variations of greys, I've seen salt and pepper grey, some that looks like it has a yellow tint to it, and some that are very dark grey.  My mother has what I call "silver grey" hair, it just glistens in the sunlight and looks soooo pretty!  People have asked her if she got her hair colored to that color grey!  I think that is so funny!  I guess my only hope is that I have that kind of grey hair if and when I go all the way grey.  I will make it look fierce! 

Now that I’m 15 weeks pregnant I haven’t done anything to my hair other than get a trim, no root touch ups, no highlighting.  I know it’s “safe” to color my hair now because I’m in my second trimester, but honestly I’m still scared.  I don’t even take anything for a headache b/c I’m afraid to hurt the baby!  I know, I know I’m just a scared first time mom to be, and I’m ok with that!  lol   So I don’t know if I should just start to keep up with touching up my roots, or just highlight over the greys so the blonde and grey can mix together and won’t be so obvious?!  What’s a going grey girl to do…..I’m giving myself this week to make a final decision on what I plan on doing and I’ll keep ya’ll posted.  I might even show you how grey I am, or how not to grey I'll be after highlighting.......stay tuned!

Brightest Blessings,
Valerie

1 comment:

  1. Valerie, I know how you feel, Mama! People are ASTONISHED to know that I've only had Regular strength Tylenol a few times (maybe 5 - 10) and one course of antibiotics for a sinus infection since I found out I was pregnant. It's weird how some people think you can't function more than a month without meds and here I've done it for 16 months!!

    I'm sure you're not THAT grey, we see our own imperfections far more acutely than anyone else does. Whatever you decide, you're beautiful and doing what is best for your little one!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and welcome your comments! Be sure to let me know who you are! If you post as anonymous, just sign your comment at the end! I like to know who is keeping up with us! :)