Monday, November 25, 2013

Cloth Diapers In Modern Times

Before Holden was born I decided I wanted to do cloth diapers.  Never had an expercience with them, never used them, so I was kind of scared.  But I knew how $$$ disposable diapers can be, and we just don't a money tree growing in our back yard, so I wanted to contribute and save.  I luckily met a lady on a cloth diaper swap group who was de-stashing from her collection.  So for $50 I got 20 diapers and inserts.  Jackpot!  If you don't know, a cloth diaper ranges from $15-$20 per diaper.  So to get started can be a bit pricey, but buying used and being frugal helps!

I have had Holden in cloth diapers since he was about 6 months.  I waited until he started solids...I honestly didn't want newborn breast milk baby poop cloth diapers.  No thanks!  Having solid food baby poop cloth diapers was enough thank you.  Wait, having a poopy cloth diapers is enough.  Period! Cloth diapers ain't for the faint of heart, that much I can say. 


So I am not an expert or super user of cloth diapers by any means.  I was actually talking to another mommy at story time one about cloth diapers and comparing what diapers we used.  She mentioned a brand I had never heard of and I told her I use pocket diapers, and she giggled.  I laughed and asked her what was so funny and she told me at some super secret cloth diaper get together she goes to that they call those "daddy diapers".  I laughed!  They are super easy to use, and don't require a whole lot of thought to them, so yeah that's why I use them because I have a daddy in my house!  :)  So ha!  The jokes on you lady.   ;)

But to make this whole process a little easier, the hubs installed our own make shift diaper sprayer in our downstairs bathroom, so I can just wash all the poop away in the toilet before putting them in our diaper bin for washing.  It's rather convenient.  It's just like the little sprayer that you might have in your sink in your kitchen.  I have yet to master how not get water all over the floor in the rinsing off process, hey, I'm a work in progress! What can I say!

We aren't totally crunchy granola hippies up in this haus, not that anything is wrong with ya'll who are, I just can't do it!  We do use disposables from time to time.  We use them when we go to church and Holden is in the nursery.  I'm sorry, but I love my church nursery ladies too much to put them through that mess.  They have 100+ kiddos in the nursery at any given time and then some plus all the diapers changes they do, I am not gonna make them use a cloth diaper/wet bag situation.  Plus, I'm always afraid they're gonna put the diaper straight in his church bag and it be full of poop!  Not in retaltion (well maybe haha jk) but they don't just don't have knowledge or tools to clean out the diaper, know what I'm saying?


 So yeah, we do cloth diapers and Daddy has been on board from day one.  That was a big help, just had to show him the ropes a little bit and we are doing good.  So there are pros and cons to cloth diapers.  If you are intersted in starting or not sure, research, research, and ask question to those that do cloth diaper.  There so many webiste and facebook groups that have season mommies who cloth diaper and know so much information.  I still go on those groups and lurk and read comments or ask a question when I need to.  Helps a lot!  So happy cloth diapering, if you dare!  :)

Here are few action shots of Holden in his CD.  And some super cute print CD that I got him.  Beware, the print ones can be addicting!  I want to sell some of my solid ones to get more print ones.  haha!



We cross the street in our cloth diapers. :)
Firetrucks, mustaches and bumble bees!  Too cute!
Holden flexin' with the dogs toy bones.  Crazy kid!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and welcome your comments! Be sure to let me know who you are! If you post as anonymous, just sign your comment at the end! I like to know who is keeping up with us! :)