Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Palgio-what??

Plagiocephaly--"is a condition characterized by an asymmetrical distortion (flattening of one side) of the skull this condition is also referred to as cheese cutter syndrome"

Thanks Wikipedia.....cheese cutter syndrome, really?  Geez....guess instead of saying my son has plagiocephaly or a flat spot, I'll just say his head looks like a cheese grater.  Yeah, that won't confuse anyone! 

Holden was diagnosised with plagiocephaly in early March 2013.  I had noticed it when he was around 2 months and the doctor said all babies get flat spots, it'll round out over time.  Well his 4 month vist came around and it hadn't gotten any worse, but it hadn't gotten any better.  I was concerned, and the pediatrician didn't even mention it on this visit.  So after seveal instances with this particular doctors office staff, (not the dr he is/was great, the staff SUCKED!) and doing my own research on plagiocephaly, I decided it was best if I changed pediatricians.  This new office (which I love!) sent a referal for us to Star Cranial Excellence Group.  When we went to the appt, they did the scan of his head both with the machine and manually with the appropriate instruments.  Baseline for babies head is 6mm, Holden's was 16mm, which is more than double. 

So then we were told he was gonig to need to wear a helmet.  I knew it deep down in my gut, even before the appointment.  Just my mommy institnct kicking in I guess.  So we just got the green light today from the insurance (which took me calling to see what hold up was) that we are approved!  Since our deductible hasn't been met this yr, our portion is $1060. If we wouldn't have gotten approval we would have had to pay $2300.  So that's a $1240 difference, but it's still  exspensive none the less.

So we are going back to Star Cranial tomorrow at 8am to get another scan done to get sent off to get Holden's helmet made. Im a little scared of this whole situation, but I've been praying on it and lifting up my worries to the Lord because I know he knows what is best for my lil' nugget. Stay tuned for updates and progress!

Check out Holden's scan, you can see the two flar spots he has.

2 comments:

I love and welcome your comments! Be sure to let me know who you are! If you post as anonymous, just sign your comment at the end! I like to know who is keeping up with us! :)